Planning and Budgeting for Wedding Bands


Buying your wedding rings will be one of the most important purchases you make in your lifetime—so you definitely want to spend your money wisely! You and your intended have probably been conditioned to believe that the higher the quality of the ring, the more expensive it will be. But, while higher quality usually translates to higher price, this isn’t always the case.

 

There is a common misconception that platinum is more expensive because its of higher quality than other precious metals – in fact, platinum is actually more cost effective over time. Unlike white gold, platinum’s durability and natural white color means it will retain its beauty, never have to be replated, and actually hold your diamond more securely – all with minimum maintenance. Platinum is available at a variety of price points too. Engagement ring mountings begin at about $800 and wedding bands at about $500—and, as with anything rare, platinum will retain its value over time.

 

The rule of thumb when buying an engagement ring is that he should spend the equivalent of about 2 months of his salary. 80% of that goes to the center stone and the remaining 20% is for the setting. She’ll often opt for a wedding band with diamonds or gemstones, as opposed to his less embellished style, but remember your rings are possibly the most important symbol of your commitment to each other, and you want to make sure your budget reflects that. Remember, they are the one element of your wedding that is going to last long beyond the cake and flowers.

 

Ideally, you should start shopping for wedding bands about 6 months before the wedding. This allows enough time to find the perfect rings, and for any personalization, such as engraving. The site offers user-friendly advice, information, and budgeting tips, as well as a design gallery of engagement rings, wedding bands and jewelry options for your big day. Once you’ve done your homework, the next best thing to do is visit your local jeweler and ask to try on a variety of rings. Make sure to ask to see platinum first since it’s the preferred metal for brides and grooms to-be. By choosing platinum, you’ll get a ring that not only mirrors the qualities you’re looking for in your marriage — durability, strength and purity — but something that retains its beauty and integrity for a lifetime, no matter how active your lifestyle.